“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life” – Pablo Picasso
Housed in the historic Edemar Mansion, the Stifel Fine Arts Center is a treasure trove for artistic expression and personal fulfillment. A public arts center with galleries, classrooms and performance space, the Stifel Center serves as a gathering place for artists, emerging artists, art lovers, students, educators and families – connecting and engaging the community in creative pursuits.
Public Classes, Workshops and Camps
Our art classes, workshops and summer camps introduce the many ways to explore visual expression as well as the knowledge and tools with which to do so. Topics range from painting and pottery to contemporary media like digital photography to traditional crafts like woodworking and stained glass. Our classes provide the flexibility to build skills session after session, supportive learning environments and individualized attention.
Programs are available for all age levels – preschoolers, elementary students, teens, adults and seniors. Our youth classes and summer camps nurture the natural talents of kids and provide a venue outside of a school classroom to develop artistic expression and creative thinking. Our adult classes provide opportunities to try a new hobby, explore new interests or engage in an artistic passion. Advanced courses allow seasoned artists the opportunity to further their skills and reach their artistic goals.
Arts and Entertainment
The Stifel Fine Arts Center features changing art exhibitions in its Hart Galleries and is home to dozens of arts and entertainment events each year. The elegant setting is ideal for date nights, family entertainment and evenings out with friends.
- Jazz at the Stifel brings some of the region’s top jazz artists to Wheeling on select Saturdays throughout the year.
- Changing Art Exhibitions occupy the first and second floors of the Stifel Center and feature the work of local, regional and national artists. Exhibits are free and open to the public to tour. In November and December, the Stifel Center is transformed into a marketplace during the popular Holiday Art Show and Sale. Shoppers can browse and buy one-of-a-kind gifts handcrafted by regional artisans.
- The Art of Wine series features wine and food pairings, music and wine experts, sharing tips on selecting and serving wines. Events take place in the elegant living room of Edemar Mansion and outdoors in the beautiful gardens.
- Art and Ale events feature expertly crafted beers and scrumptious snacks. Guests discover new flavors and learn about the increasingly popular craft beer industry.
- Tapas: The Art of Elegant Small Plate Dining is a culinary series featuring some of the Ohio Valley’s top chefs. Guests sample a variety of traditional and non-traditional tapas with wine pairings. Chefs present and discuss each dish.
- Rockin’ the Stifel features some of the most versatile and entertaining musicians in the local music scene.
- Mountain Moon Coffeehouse is a popular bluegrass music series that provides a toe-tappin’ good time with old-time music appealing to all ages.
School Programs/Educational Outreach
Our art educators teach students to understand and apply principles of design, communicate expressive ideas and explore how history and culture influence art.
Our programs provide sensory experiences that:
- Build and strengthen critical thinking, empathy and judgment
- Teach divergent thinking (that problems can have more than one solution)
- Celebrate multiple perspectives
- Help children learn to express what cannot be said
Field trips and in-school programs are available for preschool through high school and are adjusted based on grade/experience level, ensuring an appropriate and challenging learning experience for students. Programs supplement classroom teaching, meet content standards and objectives and build 21st century learning skills.
Many programs are already designed and can be quickly implemented into the school curriculum such as the 4th Grade Art Experience, Connecting Art, History and Science through Raku and the High School Art Prep Program. Programs can also be customized based on the classroom teacher’s objectives and specific lesson plans. Residencies are also available in which our trained art educators are placed in schools to work with students over an extended period of time.