Since 1944, young people ages 10 -15 have been making memories and lifelong friends at Oglebay Institute’s Junior Nature Camp. With a goal to increase understanding of our natural world in an environment that promotes teamwork, personal responsibility and respect, Junior Nature Camp’s field experience can’t be equaled in any classroom.
Junior Nature Camp is held at Camp Giscowheco, a picturesque setting located in the hills of West Virginia, 10 minutes from Wheeling. The camp facility includes platform tent villages, dining hall, swimming pool and a volleyball court. The stream, forest and meadow provide the perfect outdoor classroom for the study of everything from invertebrates and ferns to birds and mammals.
- Arts & Crafts
- Nightly Campfires
- Lessons in ornithology, botany, herpetology, astronomy, entomology, ecology and watershed science
One Week: $400 ($350 OI members)
July 16-22 OR July 23-29, 2017
Two Weeks: $800 ($700 OI members)
July 16-29, 2017
How to Register
ONLINE: Register online beginning February 20.
BY PHONE: Callto register by phone.
IN PERSON: Visit the Schrader Environmental Education Center located in Oglebay Resort during regular business hours. Oglebay Institute accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and personal checks. Please have credit card information ready when registering by phone.
- Payment in full is required at time of registration. NO deposits will be taken for Junior Nature Camp. All paperwork (camper packet) is due by June 30, 2017.
- A copy of a current physical exam (completed after August 7, 2016) by a practicing physical is required.
- An information packet including the health form, camp welcome letter, procedures & confirmation of registration will be e-mailed upon receipt of registration or download forms here.
- Cancellations made after July 1, 2017 are not eligible for a refund.